Tuesday 21 June 2011

The tally so far....

I might be jinxing myself by saying this but so far this week there have been no repairs to the Westy that have cost me money.  A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a fuel leak.  I noticed it  when I got home from Canmore one day.  There was the smell of gasoline and a small puddle under the rear driver side wheel.  :(  I could see where it was leaking from and I have some spare fuel line but didn't have clue #1 as to how to fix it. 

So off to the shop I went.... $125 and change later and it's fixed. 

So far....
$125 leaking fuel line
$308 clutch/shifter repair

This doesn't include the door handles ($20) and my labour (couple of hours) so far.  There is also an oil change on the horizon which I have the filter and some 20-50 oil already purchased. 

I really hope this doesn't turn into a  money pit because it is a lot of fun to drive and camp in.  Besides my friends kids love it.  they think it's the coolest thing ever. 

A couple of upcoming planned trips for me...
I am going to go camping with my girlfriend and her kids to Drumheller, Alberta sometime in July.
Also going to go to Winnipeg in September for a family thing.  I am debating on this one.  I have no problem running a couple of hours out of town in the old V-dub but we are talking about a 1300 km journey of epic proportions.  Usually I drive this in about 11 or 12 hours but this would be significantly longer.  Maybe I’ll take a run to Kelowna or something first… it’s only 6 hours drive.

One interesting phenomenon that I noticed while driving the bus, other than people waving and giving you the thumbs up… despite the time constraints, I find I am never in a hurry and you can’t help but smile while driving it.  Strange I know…  

If you have any driving stories, I’d love to hear them, just post them in the comments section.

3 comments:

  1. Nice van, I like this 2 tones color.
    Hope you won't have too many problem with it, but you know, 37 years old Westy...
    We bought ourselves a 86 Syncro passenger van, under restoration for now, it might take a while after all....
    Have fun with your trips.
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerome. Not the previous owner, but the owner before that actually had it stripped down to the metal and re-painted. The original colour of the van was that orangy-yellow coloue and you can still see it on the inside. I think if I ever get the bus re-painted I am going to go back to the yellow colour... but then sadly I'll loose the two tone. Thats WAAAAY off in the future though.

    Thanks for reading and for the comment!! Feel free to post a link with youor pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Patrick

    I don't have pics for now but I'll start a thread on Samba later, for now I am too busy and not happy, lots to do, cutting out all rusted parts, there is not much left of the van.
    I was supposed to finish all metal work last weekend but I got side-tracked by my exhaust and some broken studs (I'll get a SS full exhaust from 10cents) and found more rust when cleaning before primer so it will be another week.
    Got 16 inchs Audi wheels yesterday so I don't need to deflate all my tires to get the van in and out of the garage (van is with 215/85-16, Syncro and lift kit).
    For the paint, not sure for now, might go for sand or light yellow, only color my wife and I agreed to for now but I am not sure I'll be able to do that by myself.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete